On this page you will find up-to-date information about the ongoing projects that different working groups across the organisation are currently working on.
Working Group on Environment:
Finnish-Russian bilateral project AB-Waste
The partners participating are: The Finnish Ministry of Environment; Finnish Environment Institute SYKE; ELY Centers of the
Finnish Barents regions (esp. Kainuu); private and municipal waste management facilities. In Russia the partners are: Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment; authorities responsible for waste
management at the regional (and municipal) level; BAT Bureau; All-Russian Institute of
Ecology. The project is financed by the Finish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and will last for 24 months (2017 and 2018).
The objects of the programme are as follows:
- To support cooperation regarding management of municipal and hazardous waste and to
strengthen waste management planning and implementation of these plans in the Arctic,
especially in Russia;
- To promote introduction of best practices in waste treatment/recovery;
- To densify the cooperation between AC and BEAC in solving environmental problems in the
- To support implementation of international chemical and waste conventions in the Arctic;
- To promote development of bioeconomy in recovery of waste and recycled materials and
Contact person: Helena Dahlbo, email@example.com
Contact person: Prof. Dr. Ruslan Butovsky, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cooperation in the Area of Climate Change Mitigation (phase 2)
Currently a new project, will be updated as soon as more information is available.
Regional Working Group on Transport and Logistics
Kolarctic CBC project: Barents Region Transport and Logistics
The project KO1029 Barents Region Transport and Logistics is financed through the Kolarctic CBC Programme 2014-2020
There are 13 partners in total; from Finland 4, Norway 4, Sweden 2 and Russia 3 partners. The lead Partner is the Regional Council of Kainuu and the duration of the project is 36 months. Specific objective of the project are:
1. Better awareness of situation of the main transport corridors in Barents Region.
2. Increased level of knowledge of the World transport market and impacts on the Barents Region.
3. Better understanding “Green Transport” concept and its meaning to Barents Region.
4. Better understanding of current/planned, public/private ITS projects relevant to the Barents region, an implemented ICT based tools supporting the cross-border co-operation.
5. Increased awareness and common understanding of future transport cross-border cooperation through “Action Plan" of the Barents region transport
Contact person: Hannu Heikkinen, email@example.com
Regional Working Group on Economic Cooperation
B2B Business to Barents Project
The Chamber of Commerce in North Karelia, Finland, started in May 2018 a one-year project aiming at opening up new business opportunities for companies, located in North Karelia, to cooperate in the Barents region.
The main objective of the B2B Business to Barents project is to evaluate export potential in the Barents region for the North Karelian companies. At the same time, it creates the preconditions for new trade relations and develops networking with key partners. The project group consists of representatives from the Regional Council, Chamber of Commerce and two companies, having export experience in the Barents region.
Contact Person: Janita Ylitalo, Janita.Ylitalo@kauppakamari.fi
Kicking off Bioeconomy in the North
The overall aim of the project is to form a network and assure long-term cooperation between the Nordic countries and Northwestern Russia that will allow companies, authorities and researchers to work on strengthening the local economy due to a bioeconomic transition. The further purpose of the project is to increase understanding of the institutional framework for bioeconomy in Northwestern Russia through conducting a study on the current status of bioeconomy in the Murmansk region and the Republic of Karelia.
Contact Person: Vera Meshko, firstname.lastname@example.org