Working Group on Environment
The Barents Region is becoming a strategic region for Europe. Its natural resources and new transportation routes will change the global map on resource use and transportation. Barents Region is proud of its clean environment, large intact natural areas and unique indigenous culture in Europe. An important challenge, thus, for the prosperity of the region is to promote responsible, sustainable and environmentally sound economic activities.
The Working Group on Environment (WGE) covers a wide spectrum of issues and deals with both strong priorities of the Barents cooperation and major environmental challenges.
The work is therefore organized in subgroups and prioritized themes: Barents environmental Hot Spots, nature protection and water issues.
In addition, the Regional Working Group on Environment carries out cooperation projects between the Barents regions and works in close co-operation with the WGE and its subgroups.
WGE Chairmanship 2020-2023 is held by Finland. Finland aims to boost the transition into a carbon neutral circular economy and find means to reduce the use of black carbon.
Read more about the Finnish Chairmanship of the WGE in the Working Programme in English and Russian.
WGE Chairmanship 2018-2020 was held by Sweden.
Subgroups of the WGE
Hot Spots Exclusion (SHE)
Subgroup on Nature and Water (SNW)
Meetings and Events:
- WGE#56 Video Meeting, June 2020
- 14th Meeting of Barents Environmental Ministers, Luleå, Sweden, 4-5 February 2020
- WGE#55 Telephone Meeting, January 2020
- WGE#54 Meeting, Stockholm, Sweden, November 2019
- WGE#53 Meeting, Umeå, Sweden, September 2019
- WGE#52 Meeting, Stora Sjöfallet, Sweden, March 2019
- WGE#51 Meeting, Skellefteå, Sweden, November 2018
- WGE#50 Meeting, Piteå, Sweden, May 2018
- 13th Meeting of Barents Environmental Ministers, Vadsø, Norway, 29-30 November 2017
- WGE#49 Meeting, Oslo, November 2017
- WGE#48 Meeting, Kjerringøy, Norway, September 2017
- WGE#47 Meeting, Tromsø, Norway, February - March 2017
- WGE#46 Meeting, St. Petersburg, Russia, September 2016
- WGE#45 Meeting, Svanhovh, Norway, March 2016
- 12th meeting of Barents Environmental Ministers, Sortavala, Russia, 24-25 November 2015
- WGE#44 Meeting, Syktyvkar, Russia, November 2015
- WGE#43 Meeting, Naryan-Mar, Russia, June 2015
- WGE#42 Meeting, Arkhangelsk, Russia, December 2014
- WGE#41 Meeting, Petrozavodsk, Russia, April 2014
- 11th meeting of Barents Environmental Ministers, Inari, Finland, 4-5 December 2013
Working Group on Environment in Kjerringøy, September 2017