Working Group on Environment (WGE)
The Barents Region is becoming a strategic region for the Europe. Its natural resources and new transportation routes will change the global map on resource use and transportation. Barents Region is proud of its clean environment, large intact natural areas and unique indigenous culture in Europe. An important challenge, thus, for the prosperity of the region is to promote responsible, sustainable and environmentally sound economic activities.
Working Group on Environment (WGE) is covering a wide spectrum of issues and dealing with both strong priorities of the Barents Cooperation and major environmental challenges. The work is therefore organized in sub groups and prioritized themes. The Regional Working Group on Environment carries out co-operation projects between the regions in the Barents region and works in close co-operation with the WGE and its subgroups.
Norway holds the chairmanship in 2016-2017.
Subgroups of the WGE
Events and activity reports
- Working group meeting, St. Petersburg, 21.-23.9.2016
- Working group meeting, Svanhovh, 15-17.03.2016
- Working group meeting, Syktyvkar, 2-3.11.2015
- Working group meeting, Naryan-Mar, 15-16.6.2015
- Working group meeting, Arkhangelsk 8-10.12.2014
- Working group meeting, Petrozavodsk 8.-9.4.2014
WGE meeting at Svanhovd in Norway, March 2016.