Working Group on Environment
The Barents Region is becoming a strategic region for Europe. Its natural resources and new transportation routes will change the global map on resource use and transportation. Barents Region is proud of its clean environment, large intact natural areas and unique indigenous culture in Europe. An important challenge, thus, for the prosperity of the region is to promote responsible, sustainable and environmentally sound economic activities.
The Working Group on Environment (WGE) covers a wide spectrum of issues and deals with both strong priorities of the Barents Cooperation and major environmental challenges. The work is therefore organized in subgroups and prioritized themes: Barents environmental Hot Spots, nature protection, water issues, cleaner production and environmentally sound consumption. In addition, the Regional Working Group on Environment carries out cooperation projects between the Barents regions and works in close co-operation with the WGE and its subgroups.
WGE Chairmanship 2018-2019 is held by Sweden. Read more about the Swedish Chairmanship of the WGE in the Working Programme in English and Russian.
Subgroups of the WGE
Events and Meetings
- Working group meeting, Kjerringøy 27-29.9.2017
- Working group meeting, Tromsø 28.2.-1.3.2017
- Working group meeting, St. Petersburg, 21.-23.9.2016
- Working group meeting, Svanhovh, 15-17.03.2016
- Working group meeting, Syktyvkar, 2-3.11.2015
- Working group meeting, Naryan-Mar, 15-16.6.2015
- Working group meeting, Arkhangelsk 8-10.12.2014
- Working group meeting, Petrozavodsk 8.-9.4.2014
Activity Reports and Work Programmes
Working Group on Environment in Kjerringøy, September 2017